Have you ever noticed that certain smells or tastes will transport you back in time to your childhood? Below is one of my favorite recipes to enjoy solo or with family to keep memories and feelings from your past alive and in your present day-to-day life.
Apple Cider Ice Cream Floats:
Prep Time: 5 min. Total Time: 5 min. Serves: 1-4
- Sparkling Apple Cider (or ginger ale)
- Fresh Local Apple Cider
- French Vanilla Ice Cream - dairy free, gluten free, or vegan options all work. I like Breyers Lactose Free Vanilla
- Whipped Cream - Optional (same options from above apply here)
- Apple Slice - Optional
- Ground Cinnamon - Optional
- Cinnamon Stick - Optional
- Caramel Sauce - Optional
- Straw - Optional
- Scoop ice cream into a cup/mug/mason jar and pour equal parts sparkling apple cider (or ginger ale) and fresh local apple cider.
- Top with whipped cream, an apple slice, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, a cinnamon stick, and caramel sauce.
- If you freeze your cup for at least 30 minutes your drink will stay cold longer & won't melt as quickly.
- If the grown-up inner child wants to spice it up a bit, yes, rum or whiskey is an option.
As you prepare your treat, try not to worry about the calories or the sugar (there are plenty of sugar-free options available!). And besides, did you worry about those things as a kid?
As you sip on your yummy treat, close your eyes and enjoy the smells, tastes and sounds around you. Tell your inner child how much you love him/her and repeat the mantra three times with a smile on your face. :)